Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Forgotten Again

Another busy morning, rushing to get us all completely ready and out the door at the time when the three at-home girls (Katelyn, Emily and I) are usually taking kids to school in our jammies. This time it was to go to the zoo on a Kindergarten field trip. We were running kind of late, I was in my usual panic, but it all worked out. Got Zachary on the bus to ride with his friends, got Justin to MS before the tardy bell, got on the road to meet up at the zoo. We were all happy and excited.

But then Emily was mega-high at lunch. Again. As I analysed, trying to figure out where I'd gone wrong, I absolutely couldn't figure it out. Honestly, even though I'd forgotten her shot realtively recently, that day I didn't even ponder that possibility. I gave her a small lunch, so she wouldn't go hungry, and then struggled all day with her. Poor kid. She'd been looking forward to the zoo for about a month, counting down the days until she'd wear her matching orange zoo t-shirt and go see all the animals with her big brother. And now here she was, and she just felt so lousy. She kept crying that she felt low. Not uncommon when she is extra high to mistake it for a low. But heartbreaking because I couldn't fix it with a snack like a low could be fixed. We drank lots of diet coke, and made lots of trips to the bathroom, and made the best of it. Emily is great at making the best of it . . . a skill I am lacking, but trying to learn (from my three year old, no less -- have I said it enough times how proud I am of her?!?).

Imagine my surprise when I got home, and was tidying up from the morning frenzy, and found a full syringe on the counter!! I was so horrified. It is one thing for my sweetie to be miserable all day because of some fluke in her body chemistry. But because mommy forgot to inject the insulin I'd so carefully calculated? I was sick. And by then she was better.

No comments: